Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 10 to 30 mins
4 x 175g/6oz salmon steaks
freshly ground black pepper
2 x 130g packets bacon lardons or cubed pancetta
2 little gem lettuces, finely shredded
200ml/7fl oz vegetable, fish, or chicken stock
225g/8oz fresh or frozen peas
2 tbsp double cream (optional)
3 tbsp chopped fresh parley
½ lemon, juice only
1. Preheat the grill for at least 10 minutes.
2. Remove any pin bones from the fish.
3. Melt 25g/1oz of the butter and brush over the salmon. Season well.
4. Line a grill pan with foil, then place the salmon under the grill for about 3-4
minutes on each side.
5. When cooked, cover and keep warm.
6. Whilst the salmon is cooking heat a pan on a high heat. Add the bacon and reduce the heat.
7. Cook bacon for 2-3 minutes until the fat starts to run.
8.Add the lettuce and stir well to coat with the fat.
9. Add the stock, season and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer, uncovered, for three minutes.
10. Add the peas, cream (if using) and parsley and give the pan a good shake while it comes to the boil.
11. Add the remaining butter and simmer for a further two minutes then add lemon juice.
12. Serve with the salmon.